Oak Barrel Half Marathon
Saturday, April 6, 2013, 8:00AM
2013 Oak Barrel Half Registration Closed
All slots for the 2013 Oak Barrel Half are full and registration is now closed.
What to expect
- Scenic 13.1 mile course
- Short sleeve technical fabric race shirts
- Unique ‘Oak Barrel’ finisher’s medal
- Chip Timed Race
- Post race food and finish line festival hosted by Jack Daniels (no alcohol will be served)
Changes for 2013
Every year we send a survey to our race participants asking for feedback on how we can improve the event. We are very interested in what you have to say. This event is organized by runners for runners. Our primary motivation is not to profit from the event but to organize an event that runners love. Some of these changes are based on survey feedback and some based on our own discussions.
- LOTS more port-a-potties (we had about a 10% increase in participants in 2012 vs 2011 and the same number of port-a-potties. That increased percentage was enough to make the port-a-pottie situation intolerable)
- Move the award ceremony form 12 noon to 11:15 (We had it set at noon so that our older competitors who possibly would be receiving an award would be back before the ceremony begins. Since this only affects 2 or 3 people, we will move it up a bit. We still want give time for the bulk of the age group winners to finish and have time to look at preliminary results so if there are any issues we can get those resolved prior to the award ceremony.)
- We will be using short sleeve technical shirts instead of the long sleeve shirts this year
- We HOPE to be able to have Swiftwick running socks for all race finishers
- The running hats will be given as a finish item as opposed to in all race packets
Whiskey Hill Preview Runs
For those of you who live relatively close or will be in the area in the next few months, we will be hosting ‘Whiskey Hill’ preview runs. These runs will allow you to meet 'Whiskey Hill' before race day. These runs are a 7 mile loop that take in about 5 miles of the half marathon course that include ‘Whiskey Hill’. The ‘Whiskey Hill’ preview runs will start at Woodard’s Market and Deli in Lynchburg (1415 Fayetteville Highway, Lynchburg, TN). The start time for the runs will be 10AM. These will be group runs with self serve water stops and the course will be marked.
Whiskey Hill Preview Runs (Sundays):
They all start at 10AM from Woodard’s Deli (1415 Fayetteville Highway, Lynchburg, TN).
Tours of the distillery are available. Jack Daniel Distillery tours are free of charge and are offered daily 9am to 4:30pm Central Time. The tours are available every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. The tour is mostly out-of-doors and involves quite a lot of walking and steps, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes. Tours last about an hour and fifteen minutes. Visitors are asked not to take backpacks, camera bags, tote bags, shopping bags or other large bags on the tour. Photos may be made outside only and cell phone use is not allowed.